The following article explains how to restore your MS SQL Server database using Management Studio or Management Studio Express. The restore utilizes a backup file that is created by default on your Windows VDS server. Information about the creation of the backup files can be found here.
Note: The steps are the same for both Management Studio and Management Studio Express. The program you will use will be based on your VDS plan.
To restore your MS SQL Server database, please follow these steps:
1) Log into your server through Remote Desktop Connection (instructions for connecting to your server through RDC can be found here).
2) Click Start, Programs, Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008 and select SQL Server Management Studio Express or SQL Server Management Studio.
3) Enter the requested information:
- Server Type: select Database Engine
- Server Name: this field should be populated by default
- Authentication: select Windows Authentication
4) Click Connect.
5) Expand the server name and expand Databases.
6) Right-click your database, expand Tasks, expand Restore and select Database.
7) Under Source for restore, select From Device and click the ... box.
8) Select File, click Add.
9) Select the backup file you wish to restore.
10) Click OK.
11) Check the backup set to restore.
12) Click OK to begin the restore.